Sunday, 7 June 2020

Was the Elephant making a choice?


So there was a huge uproar when the news came out... about the pregnant elephant who died after eating a pineapple embedded with firecrackers. People were enraged at how inhumane it was. This was one of the cartoons that came out that day...


                   


I felt sorry for the elephant and even more sorry as it was pregnant...so did most folks as it was evident on Twitter, Facebook and other platforms. Later, I came to know that the elephant was only 1 month pregnant. After that ..I'm sorry to say... but I felt disgusted that people actually felt sorry because the elephant was “pregnant”. This was much because of the hypocrisy of humans.

The gestation period of an elephant is about 18 to 22 months. That is double the time a human mother carries her baby in the womb. And abortion is a choice given to mothers up till the 20th week ! No outrage, no protests there. When it comes to humans, it's a choice! Of course, the human baby has no choice. Nobody feels sorry for the baby or rather, can it be even called a "baby" by the 3rd month?

Being a mother who was casually asked if I wished to abort my baby when I was pregnant and then after my child was born, repeatedly being asked why I didn't abort..... to me this hypocrisy was sickening.

“According to WHO, every year in the world there are an estimated 40-50 million abortions. This corresponds to approximately 125,000 abortions per day.“ 

Where is the humanity in this? Where is the outrage on behalf of the babies?

I'm sure every baby going to be aborted would have asked the same question to his/her mother as the cartoon..”Amma..I'll never be able to see you?”.. And I'm sure the mother can reply the same.. “You wont regret it baby!”

To stretch the imagination, let us think of this situation to be one where the mother elephant was making a choice to willingly kill her child? Unthinkable, right? How can nature do that?

Yes.. Nature will never make such a choice .. only humans can, because making that choice is not natural. It is a deviation from the way we were designed and it is a crime.

Maybe, rather than merely condemning the people who were responsible for this tragedy, we should really search our consciences and see, are we any better?

No comments:

Post a Comment